Tuesday, July 17, 2012

"Healthy" Cake


I love to bake.  I also have a horrible sweet tooth, so this is often a bad combination.  Today we decided  to incorporate a popular summer vegetable into our baking.  I like to call it "healthy" cake.  After all, who can feel guilty indulging in some chocolate cake when there's vegetables in it?  My mom passed along a delicious chocolate zucchini cake recipe to me last year, so I decided to treat us all to some dessert.  It was definitely a great decision!

Let me put this to you bluntly:  you MUST make this cake.  If you do not, you are missing out on a wonderful treat!  My first thought when my mom told me about this delicious chocolate zucchini cake she made was, "Yuck!  How could a cake with zucchini be good?"  

If you recall, I am a picky eater, so this was out of my comfort zone.  I made it anyway and quickly realized my mistake.  Delicious!  So, run out to your gardens or head to the store.  You need a big zucchini!!!

I want to hear your comments once you make this!


"Healthy" Cake:  Chocolate Zucchini


1/2 c. soft butter
1/2 c. oil               

1-3/4 c.sugar

1 t. vanilla

2 eggs

2 c. zucchini

2-1/2 c flour

1 t. bkg. soda

1/2 t. cinnamon

4 T. cocoa

1/2 cup buttermilk (can make with powdered mix)

1/2 c. brown sugar

1/2 c. chocolate chips


Cream together butter, oil, and sugar.  Stir in vanilla and eggs.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and cocoa.  Mix in alternately with buttermilk.  (If you use the powdered mix, combine powder with flour mixture and alternate with water).  Stir in zucchini.  Put in 9x13 greased cake pan and sprinkle top with 1/2 c. brown sugar and 1/2 cup chocolate chips.  Bake 45 minutes @ 325 degrees or cake tester comes out clean.  Top with Cool Whip or ice cream.  

Sure kids, you can have dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment